Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Your Questions Answered ...

Wrapped up work early this evening (yes 10:45pm is early for me =) ...  so I thought why not blog?  I am sure many have wondered why do people blog?  It is similar to writing in a journal, with the difference that the posts published here are for everyone to read or comment on.  I started "My Fitness Journey" blog back in June 2010 mainly to be able to respond and address the emails, texts and calls I received asking how I lost my 52 lbs.  I genuinely love to help people, but it took me a long time to respond and that's not even getting to everyone.  My husband was actually the one who encouraged me to create a blog so I can address at one time all the correspondences I received regarding my journey.  It has now been almost 2 years and I have incorporated fashion recently within my fitness journey blog.  Who said clothes didn't go hand in hand with fitness?  We have to exercise in able to fit in the clothes we want to right?  I also blog because it is a way for my thoughts to evolve, for my body to relax and for my mind to escape ....

Here are just a few questions I received this week:

1.)  Do you buy premade hummus or do you make it from scratch?
Mrs. Chilly - for those of you who have not tasted hummus (or not know what it is), it is a middle eastern dip made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, sea salt and garlic.  I have tasted one that was made from scratch, but I will admit I buy pre-made mainly due to time constraints. I purchase the Tribe Hummus which can be found pretty much at every grocery store.  I like to pair the hummus with hard-boiled egg whites or celery sticks as a morning or afternoon snack.

2.)  Where else do you put flaxseed/wheat germ?

Mrs. Chilly - besides 1 tbsp of flaxseed in my 1/4 cup of homecook oatmeal, I like to put 1 tsp of ground flaxseed in my protein shakes.  Like I said on other blog posts, I have a "generic" magic bullet I use to make all of my protein shakes.  Make sure your flaxseed is grounded.  You can also put it in your protein pancake batter (see my Spinach Protein Pancake recipe blog post).  I like to put wheat germ in my oatmeal, as well as my protein pancake batter or clean muffins recipe (here is one I've printed out before).

3.)  Do you ever "fall off the wagon?"

Mrs. Chilly - heck yes!!  I am not perfect (who is?).  I am also 100% filipino and we are known to be meat lovers lol.  What's great about "clean-eating" is that the benefits can be seen in just a matter of days.  So let's say I cheat on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, once I get "back on the wagon" come Monday morning, I instantly feel great and energized on Tuesday morning.  I don't know about you, but I can actually feel fat burning because I am eating every 2.5-3 hours daily which keeps my metabolism revving.  Have you heard of eat more to lose more?  Now if you are preparing for a competition or show, then there are no such things called "cheat meals" until after your show.  But that is another blog post =) (see my post on how I trained for my fitness show) ...

Here is a pic of my breakfast this morning.  The protein shake courtesy of my good friend Crystal Lampe, owner of Beauty from the Earth ...

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup cold water
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 scoop all natural chocolate whey protein powder (I use Whey Factors sold at Whole Foods)
2 ice cubes
1 slice of ezekiel bread with 1 tsp of almond butter spread



Remember that you only get what you put in.  So if you want to get in your jeans, get back to your pre-pregnancy body or just be plain healthy, you have to be willing to change not only your habits (ie. eating out, excessive alcohol, fast foods, not exercising or moving, skipping breakfast or meals etc), but your lifestyle.  Definitely after a nice "cheat meal" (or two) on the weekends, I am ready to get "back on that wagon."  I don't think it's torture or "not living life (heard this so many times)," because I have my "treat" meal to look forward to on the weekends (or whichever day you choose).

Here is me before changing my lifestyle ... 5'1, 170 lbs and sluggish :-/ ....

BEFORE:


AFTER:

5' 1, 130 lbs, energized, happy and motivated!



What are you waiting for? ....
Believe,
Mrs. Chilly

No comments: