Monday, May 14, 2012

Thai Lettuce Wraps (clean and healthy version) ...


Most of you know I started a new meal program designed by the The Hot Mom Bod.  I met Leslie through my girlfriend and savage girl, Laura Lam Ortiz (click on her name for her feature on my blog!) During tax season this year, while I didn't gain, I lost a bit of my lean muscle because I simply didn't have time to fit in 5 small meals a day, let alone the time to cook and prepare my foods (we had a mandatory 60 hour work week - 55 chargeable to clients).  A few weeks I worked even more than that :-/ ....

Well, I decided to get back on track about a week ago and I can't begin to tell you how much I missed my old self, my workouts and my clean eating.  A week later, I feel great!  What a difference a week makes.  I see quite a bit of people in my line of work burnt out, overweight, tired and stressed.  I refuse to let myself go in that direction so I joined Leslie Jackson-Lancaster's Summer Sizzle Program.  It is a 30 day program with delicious and healthy recipes that I will have for a lifetime.  My workouts have also been great.  I am at my local gym at least 3 times a week and I do cardio on my home elliptical for 35 minutes before I start my day at the office.  When I can fit it in, I try to lift on my lunchbreaks at my office gym as well.

Many of you have asked for the thai lettuce wrap recipe so here it is.  There is a little modification from Leslie's version and mine.  She is coming out with her book and I will make sure to share it here along with her story! ...

**Thai Lettuce Wraps**

1lb ground bison (you can use ground chicken or lean ground turkey ... tofu for vegetarians)
Bibb lettuce
Shredded carrots
Mango fresh salsa (Whole Foods has the best!)
1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
Thai red chili paste
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 stalks of green onions, chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp raw sugar
1/2 fresh squeezed lime juice

Cook in a skillet 1 lb ground bison, add last 8 ingredients above and cook until blended well.  Add 3 tbsp of the ground bison in the bibb lettuce leaf and top with shredded carrots and fresh mango salsa.  You can add fresh chopped cilantro, but the fresh mango salsa has cilantro already.  You can also add 1-2 tbsp of thai sweet chili sauce and drizzle on top, but my version did not need it =) ....

Super easy to make and it lasted me awhile.  I believe I had 3-4 servings left for the week! ...

Don't forget to check out Leslie's Blog for fitness and nutrition tips! ...

Cheers!
Mrs. Chilly

2 comments:

Moms and Fitness said...

Oh, wow!! I love your version using the bison. Unfortunately, we can't get bison here in Singapore. Aren't they delicious, though? I love these and my family does too!

Leslie

Mrs. Chilly said...

Yes it was delish and really simple to make! How come no bison in Singapore? ..