Friday, May 25, 2012

Ready, Set, Pack! ...

This next blog post was requested by one of my followers and dear friend.  One day I received a post asking how I pack/store my clean foods for the week?  Great question!

First off, it helps if you have a large refrigerator which I unfortunately do not have (yet).  Next, hubby and I went to walmart and found a set of tupperwares from largest to smallest and purchased two sets.  I mainly put my steamed sweet potatoes, brocolli, almond butter, vertically sliced celery and carrot sticks, measured hummus, etc in these containers.  They look similar to these only in blue:

 

Some of the "hot" foods I cook (i.e. zuchini and squash, ground turkey, brown rice and quinoa) actually go in real bowls and I just tightly seal a saran wrap over the bowl.  If you see my refrigerator on Sundays vs Saturdays (end of the week), you will be amazed at how my family of 3 actually eat what we cook during the week.  That is how I know we did well both in saving money (from dining out) and eating healthy.  The bowls I use are similar to these:


Grocery shopping is a family event for us 3.  I have blogged about this before, but my grocery list has my items listed according to the route we take in the store.  We start in the produce section, work our way up the meat aisle, dairy and egg products, whatever is left found in the middle aisles (i.e. spices, pam spray, taco shells, bread, soup for Alexander, etc).  Our last stop is way on the other side of the store; items such as toothpaste, mouthwash, greeting cards, shampoo, razors, etc.  Hubby pokes fun of my grocery list, but he admits it makes sense and saves us time from "roaming" around the store and picking up foods that do not normally make the list (junk foods!).  I think it is simply just "smart" shopping (with a little hint of my OCD =) ...

Once we reach check-out, my hubby takes our son and they both sit at the bench to wait on Mommy.  Hubby reaches for his phone and shows him pictures to keep him entertained while I check out.  Talk about teamwork!  We do this to avoid Alexander from asking for candy or chips, but once or twice a month he is allowed a bag of M&Ms or skittles.  His cheat meal normally during the week is a chicken nugget happy meal, his fave.  He also likes mexican food where he orders a ground beef taco with shredded cheese.  Yes he has cheats too like his parents!  That is his "treat" for eating his oatmeal, eggwhites, brocolli, sweet potatoes, chicken, fish, fruits for the week as well as drinking his 2% milk and water.  He absolutely loves mangoes (must be the Filipino side of him hehehe). 



I know grocery shopping is mainly mommy's duty, but if hubby can come along, it helps out a lot (at least for me).  Every other week, we also go to Costco to purchase our bulk items (i.e. oatmeal, chicken breasts, ground turkey, almonds, tuna, goldfish, etc).  We love Costco, but beware of the free samples - try to choose the healthy ones =) ....

After grocery shopping, hubby brings the groceries in as well as put them away in the pantry and refrigerator.  Right now, you are probably wondering "really?" ... Well, my hubby is an engineer (mechanical) and he is the BEST in organizing our small fridge and pantry.  He actually volunteered because he has ways to fit everything in and it be organized and neat.  I have offered to do it in the past, but I just don't do as good of a job and I hate it when my blueberries fall and scatter all over the ground (and worse, Alexander accidentally steps on them!! - Moms you know what I am talking about!) ...  While hubby does that, I take Alexander and clean him up because we all know that grocery stores (and any public places) can be a haven for germs!  I help hubby after that, but mainly I put away the toiletries and take out packaging trash to the outside garbage bin.  And voila, our grocery trek is done = total teamwork!! ;) ....


So moving right along .... here is an example of what I bring to the office.  It is meal 2 morning snack, meal 3 lunch and meal 4 afternoon snack with strawberry whey protein powder:



Meal 2 is normally consumed at 10:45am, meal 3 at 1:45pm and meal 4 at 4:15pm.  Meal 4 is a little early because I like to join my husband and son for dinner.  If I eat meal 4 later than 4:30pm, I am not as hungry come dinner time and I just end up watching them eat.  I have a medium lunchbox that I bring this in and while my work laptop is booting up (which is forever), I put the foods in the refrigerator (minus the protein powder).

I hope this helps!  Of course with my job, there are days I eat the meals a little later than planned.  I am not perfect by no means and sometimes I end up skipping a meal because I am in a meeting or just working on an urgent client deliverable/deadline.  But most of the time, I try to eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism revving.  I am known at work to have several tupperware containers =) ... It's SOO worth it and along with my exercise, I just feel great! ...

Let me know if you have questions!  Remember a little planning makes a difference and it moves you one step closer to your fitness goals.  Try it and avoid those fast food joints for lunch!! ....

Clean-eating rocks!
Mrs. Chilly

No comments: