Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rookie at Running! ...

I purchased my first "running" shoes today during my lunchbreak at Luke's Locker in Dallas.  My girlfriend Stefanie, a marathon runner, mentioned this place where she buys her running shoes.  Thursdays are my craziest days of the week for some reason and with the 10/15 extension deadline for work, I decided for my break today, rather than going to the gym, I would go take a quick visit to Luke's.  Boy, was I in heaven!  It is so much better than Lululemon's Northpark; their workout gear is hip, modern, comfortable and very good quality.  After stepping in, I had forgotten what I had went there for in the first place :)) - ehh, happens to most women who loves to shop!  Hahaha! ....

So, after re-gaining conscious control, I went straight to the shoe department ... I did only have an hour to shop.  What brought me to Luke's?  Well, after my first competition at the Europa back in August 2011, I decided to try running to see what it can do to my body.  As fitness buffs, we all know the cardinal rule of "changing" up our routines so the body in turn also keeps changing, and we do not hit a plateau.  Everyone knows I am the stepmill queen, however I am proud to say that I have not done the stepmill in weeks!  I am sure it doesn't miss me considering how often it breaks at LA lol!; ... but the good thing is I have decided to try other forms of cardio:  plyo circuit training, elliptical (ugh, I can't stand this machine, but it's so good for you!), sprints and now running ... not on a treadmill, but outside running.
A few weeks back, I ran outside for a week and immediately right after, I felt a sharp pain on my left bottom heel.  So painful that I was limping for a week :-( ...  it was awful pain so I definitely stayed off running and went to speak with my friend Stephanie for advice.  We both knew it was my shoes.  I had no idea that I needed "running" shoes for outside running and that my "gym" shoes were for, ... well the gym.  DuH ... (keep in mind my blog is called "my fitness journey" for a reason because I am still journey-ing (is that a word?) ... pardon my English if it is not, I am lacking sleep due to work at the moment :-/ ... 

So ... now my "journey" is about to start with the world of running.  Growing up as an overweight child, I despised running.  I pictured running as each step you take, your entire body weight lands on each footstep.  Well, my poor feet having to lug around all that weight and bodyfat :-( ....  so needless to say, I stayed away from running!  I could not stand all that jiggle jiggle!  And it wasn't comfortable.  Now, I have changed for good and I can't help but love it.

Today I ran 4 miles at the park with my new running shoes.  It felt light as if I was running barefoot.  No more pain in my feet.  I only wished it was cooler today (it was 100 around 5pm ugh) and that would have made my jog perfect. 

I look forward to many more jogs outside now that fall is around the corner (well for Texas, that is wishful thinking, but you get my point) ...  now I have the right shoes and I am ready to "journey" on and add running to my fitness loves.  A 5k and 10k is on my bucket list as we speak! 

Thank you Stephanie for helping ... a total rookie at running :)) ...


Happy training,
Mrs. Chilly

No comments: