Monday, August 29, 2011

My Fitness Journey - Emily Slape

I want to share with you one of my best friend's success in her own fitness journey, Emily Slape.  Emily is my cousin's GF of 8 years.  We met back in 2007 at Jason and I's wedding.  To date, she has been my clean eating "sistah" and together we have shed over 85lbs!  We are each other's support, motivation and even a shoulder to cry on.  Through determination, perseverance and hardwork, she is several steps closer to reaching her goal.  Most importantly, she has paved herself a path to a lifestyle of healthy change that will benefit her throughout life.   Great job, Ms. Emily! ....
"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be." - David Viscott ...
I have never been the “skinny” girl. Growing up, I was always the bigger girl… or so I felt. I was always active in some type of sport growing up. It started with gymnastics, then softball, basketball, and finally volleyball. I played volleyball in Jr. High and High School. This is when I feel I was in the best shape of my life, but I still felt bigger than the other girls. In reality, yes I may have been “bigger”, but I was wearing size 4 jeans. I look back now, and I was in amazing shape weighing 130lbs!

Aug. 2008
            Once I hit college, I was in a different environment, and hiding my parent’s marital issues took a toll on my weight. I gained the “freshman 15” In October, my parents just made it official they were getting a divorce, and the following week I had emergency surgery. After these two events, I sunk into a deep depression (adding on to my freshman 15) I walked by TCU’s amazing Rec Center day in and day out typically with my coke in my hand.  My weight came on like nothing!
            In the spring, I felt like I needed to get my butt in gear, so I turned to Bryan’s cousin, April for advice on where to even start. She told me about the Oxygen Magazine, and told me some ideas on what to eat. Well, I ordered my subscription of Oxygen, and then my motivation quickly ended. It was VERY hard to eat healthy in dorm life, with no kitchen! I still did not step into the rec center, but I did “try” to choose healthier choices in the cafeteria. I ended my sophomore year of college at 180.

Aug. 2010
            I moved into my apartment, and looked back at pictures of the summer, and I was in total shock on how big I was. So I once again turned to April for advice. At this time she just moved back to Texas, and was starting to eat clean, and work out again. This helped motivate me to get my butt moving! She bought me the clean eating book, and I renewed my subscription to Oxygen Magazine.  I ate clean about 80% of the time and tried to work out (in-between being a full time student and part time work) about 3-4 times a week.

147lbs

Aug. 2011
            Now 12 months later, I have lost 33 lbs, and I am down to 147lbs. I am still working out, and eating clean! I will be attending the fitness classes at TCU Rec Center! My next goal is to be 135 by Christmas time! ... 
Emily Slape, 21
Fort Worth, Texas

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thank YOU for being such a great friend, mentor, and motivator!