Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Last Few Pounds

Today a gal who is fairly new to step approached me to tell me she has been following my blog and fitness foods album on Facebook and has started steaming sweet potatoes and brocolli. She just started step about 3 weeks ago and now has been a regular attendee, using two level risers! She has the same trainer as me and you can see her do extra cardio around LA Fitness. I am so proud of her :) - way to go! ....
So proud that all day today, I worked as fast as I could so I can find time to write another blog. This morning I weighed in at 123.8lbs, another pound lost from this weekend. The past two months, the weight loss has been slow now because as we all know, the last few pounds are the hardest to lose. My goal is 115 for being 5 foot 1 (and a half) and before I had doubts I can ever reach that. Now, I am beginning to believe I may actually get there. Like I told my friend, Emily, I had no expectations of ever being a size 2. I was content actually with being a size 6 and this past weekend, fit in my first size 2 jeans ... not just denim jeans, but white jeans! I have always been scared to wear white for many reasons as I am sure you gals can at one point in your life relate too.
Some things I added to my routine to continue the weight loss is adding additional cardio before my group exercise classes. On Mondays before Jackie's bodyworks class, I usually will run 2-3 miles and have also increased my dumbbells to 12 pounders vs 10. What I like is I am already warm when I begin bodyworks which enables me to use the 12 pound dumbbells more throughout class. After Jackie's class yesterday, I was good and exhausted. Great workout! :) ...
Tuesdays is what I call pure cardio days. Today I ran 4.2 miles before Stephanie's step class. I have also added another level to my step bench, now using two risers. That alone increased the intensity of the workout and of course, calories burnt. I was exhausted afterwards! Went home and ate some garlic spinach, half a sweet potato and tilapia seasoned lightly with cumin. I was starving! ....
Tomorrow is Missy's turbokick and upper body training with my trainer. I normally do about 20-25 minutes of stairmill right before class. Sometimes I just go straight to turbokick since I want to have enough energy left to lift heavy with Neil. Just depends on my mood in the morning (and if I get enough sleep!).
Thursdays are usually killers. Tracy's bodyworks class at 8:30am is fabulous! I like to get a few miles of running right before her class so you will most likely find me on the treadmill knocking out 2-3 miles. I normally do Jackie's step class right after, but lately have not had any energy left after Tracy's intense bodyworks class or I simply just have to get home and start work. Jackie's step class is great though and I SO miss being there.
Fridays I like to mix up ... I am either at Jackie's step class from 8:30am-9:00am before I train w/ Neil again for legs. Or I am running upstairs 3-4 miles on the treadmill. I love leg days! (before I never could say that lol) ...
Saturdays are fun and something I look forward to after the long week - hubby and I make it our "gym date" where we do cardio for about 20 minutes on the elliptical side by side and then we do chest and triceps together. If the weather is nice, we take Alexander at the park for a brisk walk in his red buggy :) ....
So to sum it up ... I finally got past the 130s by doing additional cardio before class and mixing up what I do. As far as diet goes, I still make sure I eat my egg whites and oatmeal pre-workout to give me the energy I need, especially with the additional cardio. The only thing I wish I had more was sleep, but realized I can't at this time fit it all in one day. I am happy to get 4-5hrs a night, which I know is short from the recommended 7-8hrs. It is hard for me to give up exercise and to just work, work and work. I feel I am a more productive and energized (accountant, wifey and Mom) after getting a good workout. It really does make a difference physically and mentally.
I hope everyone is having a great week so far! Keep up the training and clean eats! It works :) ...
XoXo,
April

No comments: