Thursday, March 3, 2011

Family/Tax Busy Season/Fitness/Friends/Blog - Making it all Work!

Been awhile since I've written "Thoughts for Thursdays" - it is 11:29pm, so I think I can get this in before the clock strikes midnight :o) ....
I have now started working my annual overtime mode for busy season about 3 weeks ago, and finally found some time this evening to give my blog some much needed love. It is now mostly in the 70s here in Dallas, spring is definitely in the air. Winters here don't last but one month (and hubby and I love it!) - shorts, skirts, sandals season is here! I can tell you I did not have this much excitement last year regarding spring/summer clothing. Whatever season, it was long black pants for me, whatever will hide the thunder thighs, muffin rolls, extra weight, etc. **big sigh** ....
While working this evening, I could not help recall gaining about 5-10lbs during busy season. I used to work for PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) in the International Assignment Solutions tax department from 2007 -2010. I had to admit we were spoiled ... delicious busy season dinners, sweets in candy jars, endless desserts, delicious bagels and Saturday morning donuts brought in by our partners or managers! Needless to say, I did not have much time to make it in the gym, nor had the energy to eat clean. I was also new to mommyhood and unfortunately let myself go. Well, that is definitely changed for season 2011! ...
I am blessed and thankful to have the flexibility of my job where I work remote from home, still working for PwC clients, returns, etc. Hubby and I decided it is best since we are still trying to grow our family (another topic and no not yet lol) to have this flexibility, yet still be able to have a dual income household. I honestly have to say that taxes interest me and there is not a day that goes by, I do not learn something new! What a dork, right?!? ...
Now, what I love most is being able to balance family, fitness and career all at once. Yes, I do lose some sleep (okay a ton and drink a bit more coffee than usual), but it sure is better than my old days. Stats-wise, I am now down to 127lbs (from 165 back in June 2010) and 24.4% body fat from 37.2% (June 2010). Life has been wonderful and I have met new friends along the way! Being fit energizes me and everyday I wake up happy and ready to tackle the day! I've really embraced this clean eating lifestyle and enjoyed seeing transformations of friends/family who have also embraced the same. My target goal is 115. Now that about 40lbs have come off, the rate of loss has slowed down to about 1-2lbs per week. Diet has been tight and strict, with about 1-2 cheat "meals" on the weekends. It has been 8 months living this "clean" eating lifestyle and I honestly do not miss my old eating habits. I always tell my friends/family how important it is "treat" yourself once or twice a week. For me by doing this, I remain focused throughout the week and gives me something to look forward to.
This month I've also tried some new superfoods: I've added bee pollen and wheat germ to my pre-workout oatmeal (already prepared with cinnamon, flaxseed and fruit) and whole grain quinoa! If you are wondering, I ordered them from Nutsonline.com! Quinoa I had always read up in Oxygen magazine as this superfood packed with protein (which is hard to believe since it is a type of grain). My BFF and clean-eating sistah, Deepa suggested I make it with garlic and onions and it was simply delicious! I usually eat quinoa as a postworkout meal with tilapia and steamed brocolli or steamed sweet potatoes (half). Try it sometime! ...
Quinoa postworkout meal:
Remember, your taxes are due 4/18/11! I hope to blog weekly post tax season :) - till then, happy training and happy spring! ...
-April

No comments: